Introduction to Houdini 3D for VFX and Game Design
Houdini 3D artists are some of the most sought-after in the industry. And for good reason: Houdini is both the most powerful tool for digital effects and also notoriously difficult to learn.
The good news is that we’ve designed this course as a gentle introduction to the fundamentals of Houdini, creating a solid foundation from which to launch into Houdini’s specialized feature sets: pyro, fluids, oceans, explosions, crowds…the list goes on.
We’ll also take a look at Houdini Engine, Houdini’s revolutionary platform for developing content that can be automatically incorporated into both 3D animation packages–Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D–and the game development applications Unity and Unreal Engine.
In the class you’ll learn:
• The various context networks through which Houdini works
• Houdini’s unique node-based architecture
• Scene assembly and the Mantra render system
• Procedural modeling
• The fundamentals of Houdini’s particle system
• Creating impressive effects you can use in VFX shots today thanks to the preset shelves
• Creating a terrain plugin for use in Maya and Unity
Prerequisite: Basic understanding of digital 3D is helpful (e.g. using the 3D camera in After Effects or knowledge of another 3D DCC package like Maya, modo, 3DS Max or Cinema 4D) but not required.
To sign up for this class, email email@example.com with the name of the class and your contact information.
(Note: classes include both lecture and instructed lab)
Evening Class: Instructed Lab 6:15pm-7pm, Lecture 7pm-10pm